Tech News You Can Use – August 2017
There have been lots of exciting things happening in the world of technology lately! There are a few tech news items that are important for business owners to stay on top of so I thought I would touch on them here.
- Are you an Instagram fan? Instagram says younger users spend 32 minutes a day on its app. It continues to increase in popularity.
- Google’s reverse image search is a handy but underutilized tool, good for all sorts of things. Find the original source of an image. See who’s talking about you, whether or not an image is real, or if others are using your image(s) without permission.
Microsoft’s Eye Control for Windows 10 is now available for testers. You can learn more here.
- Facebook is taking away link preview editing – We’ll no longer be able to edit images, titles & text before sharing.
- How fast is your website? Facebook will show fewer links to slow-loading websites. Facebook is making changes to their algorithm again. If your site is slow fewer and fewer people will see your posts that contain links. Click here to read all about it.
- Shopify launches chip and card reader! Do business wherever you are. Shopify’s card reader to compete with Square. Find out more.
- Facebook allows cover videos. Now you can update your Facebook cover — with a video! Once people visit your Facebook page, the video will start to play. This will create a more dynamic page and more engaging interaction with your Facebook fans and followers. Just be careful of your distance and what you put in the video so you are not cutting people in half, etc. Be sure to check the video out on mobile and desktop once it is posted.
Will any of these items make a difference in your business? It depends on your business and how you are using social media and other technology. To me, the two biggest tech news items are Google’s reverse image search and Facebook’s removal of the link preview editing. Which one makes the biggest impression on you?